Saturday, June 26, 2010

Don't let water go down the drain! Duh...

My last birthday I was gifted the little GREEN BOOK of the Home by Sarah Callard from my gal pal Co. Thanks Co! Here's a little tip taken from the book that I'd like to share with you today:

DON'T LET WATER GO DOWN THE DRAIN!



To explain further...

1) When washing feet (for example after a volleyball game) I always make sure to plug the bathtub and let the water collect while I am rinsing my feet off. Then once there is a small bit of water in there I turn off the running water and use the collected water to finish washing/rinsing my feet. Pretty simple and straight forward and an easy way to save some water (whales) and money (water bill).

2) When heating up the water when I am washing my face it takes awhile in my place because it's an older home so I put a bucket of water to collect the running water while it heats up. Then I save that bucket of water to use later for the plants or for boiling tea or even for washing my feets :)

3) When taking a shower are there times you could turn the water off? The answer is yes and you know it! And while this tip is probably the hardest for American people to adjust to, when living in Spain and in South Korea, they were more conscious of their water use and it was a requirement/common courtesy to turn off the water when you were lathering up. Yes it gets chilly, but if you want to really conserve water, one of the best ways is to cut back in the shower! Or even better...shower less! It's bad for your hair to shower everyday anyway.

4) Didn't think I'd have to mention this, but if you don't already turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth, this would also fall under the Eco-tip: Don't let water go down the drain! Duh...

Any other thoughts on saving water? Please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment